There are several different nutritional approaches that CrossFit recommends.
- Paleo – The Paleo diet refers to eating food as our hunter/gatherer ancestors did. This means avoiding processed foods like sugar and grains. You can read about here.
- Zone – Zone means that you precisely measure the amount of food in specific macro nutrient densities. Basically you proportion your carbs, proteins, and fats in a specific quantities. This allows you a measurable way to tweak and adjust your diet. More info here. Zone does not specify anything other than the macronutrient percentages as far as what you consume.
- Zone/Paleo – This approach combines both so that you are eating Paleo foods in specific proportions.
Our approach is find something that works for you. Nutrition is very personal to everyone and the same approach does not work for everyone. However, there are a few things we recommend based on all of the athletes we have worked with and our own personal experience:
- Avoid Sugar, this includes fake sugar
- Limit your starches and try to eliminate grains as much as possible
- Don’t be afraid of fat
- Take fish oil daily
That’s it. Another way to state it is:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar.
There is obviously a lot more to discuss, but by doing the four things listed above, you will be well on your way to becoming a better you.